The Options Committee of Making Kenora HOME has proposed the second annual poverty challenge, A Walk in Other’s Shoes. Community members have been asked to spend seven days facing some of the challenges poverty causes. The event takes place during the second week of February, which is the annual Week of Action Against Poverty.Participants will live off $52.00 for the entire seven days. This includes all food and drink, entertainment, some personal supplies and transportation costs. Each participant will be given a daily challenge card that will reveal an additional challenge; they must complete the challenge before the day’s end.An opening event is scheduled to be held at City of Kenora Council Chambers at 12:00 pm on Wed. February 8th. The closing event will be held at the Kenora Recreation Centre Rotary Room at 12:00 pm on Thursday February 16th. Both are open to the public.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Doing chores

I had a notion to go fishing today, but the windchill's still south of -35, so I'm doing chores, instead. Fortunately, I'm stocked up on detergents, but I'm doubting very much I'd be able to avoid the dishwasher on social assistance.
The couple of bags of garbage I've accumulated would be $4 at the landfill. That'll teach me to forget putting out the trash last week. That and a new loaf of bread puts me close to the limit.
The Saints game last night was $5, even for a high school game. In the grand scheme of things very reasonable, but on the dole it's a pinch. The symphony on Tuesday... Maybe if I pooled my money I could go until the intermission?
I've got some old John Wayne movies at home. Maybe the ones without the Indians? Or the Hockey Day in Canada... but it goes on for 12 hours! The ExpressVu would be right out, of course, along with the internet and iPhone.
Looking forward to Wednesday. The chamber dinner menu's prime rib, I hear...